History of Scottish Rite in Kansas
“The Scottish Rite Masonic body was organized in 1900, and a building site with an old church was purchased from the African Methodist church at the corner of Seventh street and Ann avenue. It was purchased for $15,000 and the building was remodeled, by spending $75,000 in addition to purchase price. It was occupied as a Masonic Temple until October 19, 1906, when the building was destroyed by fire. The present structure was erected in its place by the following committee: Ernest J. Lutz, president; James P. Wiles, vice president; Robert B. Wolf, secretary and treasurer; Albert J. Holzmark, William J. Wright, Jr., T. C. Russell, W. L. Wood, Jerry Grindrod and Henry F. Wulf.
This same committee raised $75,000 and the committee had on hand at that time $25,000 in cash. Fifteen thousand dollars was spent, in addition, for fitting up the stage with paraphernalia and electrical scenery, which latter amount has been paid over. The total indebtedness is now $75,000. Mr. W. W. Rose was the architect. The temple has a large banquet hall, in which 450 people can easily be accommodated; a Blue Lodge room for the different Masonic bodies, and an auditorium with seating capacity for 1,500 people. The stage is sixty-two feet deep and fifty feet wide – one of the largest stages in the state of Kansas. Altogether, the building is the best equipped Scottish Rite Temple in the state.”